Solution-Focused Brief Therapy
Solution-Focused Therapy is an evidence-based practice of talking therapy for people seeking immediate change. The focus is on building upon current strengths and reaching goals. Sessions will concentrate on addressing the present and the future, not the past. This therapy promotes work outside of sessions and explores new ways to overcome challenges.
Will this therapy help me?
This is an increasingly well-researched and valuable therapeutic approach appropriate for children, adolescents, adults, and families.
If you are struggling with depression, anxiety, substance use, eating disorders, family/relationship problems, or are in crisis, this therapy may be of interest to you.
The two primary questions that will be addressed during sessions with one of our experienced therapists are:
1. What do you want to be different in your life?
2. How will you achieve that change?
How does this therapy work?
Therapists can work with individuals, families, couples, or groups.
- Includes solution-building (not problem-solving), reinforcement of skillful behaviors, finding alternatives to undesirable behavior, and finding solution behaviors that already exist.
- Focuses on skills, strengths, and your own hopes and goals for the present and the future.
- Collaboration is key. The therapist is not the expert on your life. Their expertise is in working with you to find your way to get what you need.
Solution-Focused Therapy can range from a single session to multiple. Personal goals can typically be achieved within 12 hourly sessions. Session frequency varies. Individuals will benefit from working with the therapist to implement changes in their daily life outside of appointments.
For more information, contact your LVF therapist or call 215-345-5300.